Skip to main content

Pirates Of Silicon Valley: An eyeopener




What are the factors that contributed to the success and failure of Steve Jobs as a technopreneur?

As I was watching the movie I can’t help myself to be amazed and at the same time disappointed of how the characters managed to get what they have right now. We can’t deny their contributions to make our lives easier and is still continuing their legacy up to now but this movie somehow spilled their secrets. Like any other individuals, I suppose originality is important to ensure one’s success but with this eye-opener I guess someone just have to be an effective speaker to get what he/she wants. It’s kind of about the Game of minds. The conflict between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates is stunning in a negative way. haha. In this movie there is neither a protagonist nor an antagonist. The two main characters have flaws. They we’re kind of funny because they kept each other’s secrets in order for their secrets not to be spilled. They both knew they we’re thieves, idea thieves.

Since the questions are all about Steve Jobs, I will only focus on his works. Steve Jobs is one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world. Every time we hear the word Apple Inc., Steve Job’s name will be expected to be mentioned in the conversation. As Co-founder, chariman and CEO of Apple Inc. he had contributed a lot to the company. But all of this would never have existed without the bright idea of Steve’s friend, Steve Wozniak, a computer programmer. Jobs and Woz are good friends. In Berkeley, Woz had invented a thing that he called Blue Box that could call anyone around the globe. Jobs then convinced Woz to sell it but Woz was not sure about the idea because he thought nobody would have an interest of it. But Woz was wrong, Jobs have this powerful and convincing way of attracting buyers, so they have sold it out. And after this Woz decided to make and program a computer because he just wanted to have his own. His mother even called a newspaper article writer to share Woz’s activity but it failed. Yet Woz still continued attending meetings of a group of early computer hobbyists called Homebrew Computer Club. This club was composed of individuals who we’re trying to show-off their latest works in programming and writing software. They presented their first computer and Apple Inc. began. Steve has a brilliant mind and is a good speaker.

Jobs have this passion on making Apple Inc. on top. He aims to bring down IBM because he hates it. He is strong-willed and is always determined in everything he does. Jobs never quitted, like that time when he tried to sell the first computer made by Woz to the businessmen. He was always turned down by the companies because of his not presentable looks; he has a beard back then. Just when he realizes that businessmen doesn’t like beard and decided to shave it, a man wearing corporate attire, a venture capitalist went in their garage/office offering them quarter of a million dollars for initial funding for Apple II. You could see the great passion of Jobs when he totally shaved off his beard and wore a suit in the Computer Fair just to be presentable to his few expected guests but amazed when the doors opened and saw a bunch of people racing just to see their computer. It is clear that Woz is the genius in making computers and Jobs is the genius in dealing and convincing people to buy their stuff. Success is easy for Jobs because he puts his full attention in everything he does. He plans everything carefully before doing it. He takes everything a venture, a key to success; he never misses a chance to attain success. He always aimed for success and perfection.

But along with these good traits Steve Jobs has an authoritarian way of handling his employees. He was so depressed when Woz decided to resign from Apple because he can’t anymore handle Steve’s attitude. Steve was like Hitler to his employees. He made them work for hours without sleep. Steve Jobs has bad-temper. He easily gets angry whenever he sees a worker idling, there is a scene in the movie that his employee lost his patience and punched Steve because of his unfavorable attitude. But some reviews said this attitude of Jobs on handling his employees have helped Apple to progress and grow. Steve has the attitude of a leader but he sometimes cross the line. I think his greatest mistake was when he trusted Bill Gates. Kompyansa ra kaayo siya na siya lang ang bright. It was like he had his karma and couldn't do anything because they both knew they we’re both thieves. It’s saddening when Jobs was fired in his own company but he never stopped there, he made a computer that made Apple buy it and was hired again. Steve Jobs may have been an authoritarian but he contributed a lot in the success of Apple Inc.

How do you see yourself as a technopreneur?

A technoprenuer is an entrepreneur that is into technology. It is creating a business through technological advancements and ideas will be their key to success. To be a technopreneur one must be updated to the new technologies that have been released to catch up the trend. Technologies nowadays are crucial to man’s life. Every one of us has cellphones and in fact Philippines was listed as number 10 in the List of Countries by number of mobile phones. In the past computers are only used by people in corporate companies and banks but now computers are found everywhere, desktops at home, laptops at school, tabs at cafes and many more. Technology have boosts its way up the chart. And long ago, Internet was just for companies but now it is used worldwide. Technologies have made our lives easier. That’s why technopreneurs are sprouting like mushrooms here and there because a lot of technological ventures had their way to success.

Knowing myself I think I will not make a good technopreneur, first, because I don’t know how to socialize. Sadly, I’m even still having a hard time on making new friends. Second, I don’t know how to communicate effectively but not in the way that I’m not good in speaking but I don’t know how to properly talk to people and convince them that my idea is worth their precious time. And Lastly, I can’t think of new ideas that could fit our professor’s standards. My ideas are way too old to be considered as new. Haha.

I think being a technopreneur is difficult yet exciting job, difficult because you have to think of new innovations for your product to click, your product must have an essential purpose, a purpose that could make user minimize their work. The product might also keep your users from danger and accidents. Some technologies have been made with these purposes but are not utilized properly. I think it is also up to the users on how he/she would use it. I also said being a technopreneur would be exciting because you will know a lot of things every day. Being one must also follow the trends and always updated because you won’t do anything that is outdated right? Ideas must come fast because technology is updating every day. Anyway, if given a chance to be one would be great, creating new innovations to help people make their lives easier and handy.

After watching the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley, I realized that nothing is impossible if only you believe in yourself that you could do it. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates we’re just only ordinary students back then who aimed to be famous by their works. I learned you must be competent and patient because today’s world is a competition a lot would try to surpass or copy your work. Self-confidence does the entire trick. To be successful you must first trust yourself and the people around you will follow. They did succeeded and why can’t you? My answer to that right now would be I still don’t have the knowledge and skills to participate in such activities but who knows? Maybe in the near future I would be one.

Would you take the same career path that Steve Jobs took? Why or why not?

Steve Jobs has a great part in the progress of technological advancements today. Being in the path that Steve Jobs took would be great and something to be really proud of. What if I have the idea and contribute new gadgets to make life comfortable, the one who sees things with great value, the one who thinks everything is essential, hmm. If only I have the strong determination of Jobs, why not? Steve Jobs was a great man with a brilliant mind. Assuming I have that kind of knowledge Steve had, following Steve jobs footstep is a great career to pursue but if I we’re to take the same career path as Jobs took I will guarantee that I originally made my product. The quote, “Good artists copy, Great artists steals” confused me. I’m not saying that Steve is not worth the praise because Steve is indeed a brilliant person but for me to have other people nothing to say against you is something right? Being original and unique is something you could brag and be proud of but I also believe that no one in the business industry is fair so it would also help to do dirty tactics sometimes. And I would choose to whom I will give my trust. Steve Jobs’ greatest downfall was when he couldn't do anything to sue Bill Gates for stealing his computer because Bill Gates knew that he also stole the idea from Xerox. The quote, “Bring your friends close but your enemies closer” is quite scary, one would become a paranoid with this quote but this quote sets as a warning for everyone to know your true and loyal friends and companions are. I’m that kind of person who trusts people too easily, I need get to know that person well first and whenever a person I trusted betrays or lies to me it will be very difficult for me to forget what that person did. I believe in the saying, “forgive but never forget.” I would be very careful in everything I do if I would to follow Steve Jobs in the future.

I am still not sure of what path I am heading to but no matter where my feet would take me I surely will do my best in whatever I would do. :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Good post there :) Keep posting!
shartotako said…
hope to you as a technopreneur someday.haha xD
goody153 said…
forgive but never forget ? are you rooting for it ? haha
tsubebang said…
@goody153: kinda. if u have rules then i do have mine.
Jitneyvim Sasil said…
doing your best in whatever you do..yeah!

Popular posts from this blog

After watching the movie “3 IDIOTS”, your reflections of the 3 characters, which one would you choose?

This movie had perfectly portrayed the different possible reactions of every individual who has been under too much pressure. In real life situations, pressure is not only experienced in the family but also in the workplace, school and even around friends. This movie had taught a lesson of positivity and faith. Never blame the Lord of all the mischiefs that have been happening to you. Surely all of that has a purpose. Whenever we’re down and feeling like giving up we just have to motivate ourselves. Think of our goals and dreams. Motivation is an answer. A motivated person takes action and does whatever it needs to achieve his/her goal. Motivation is one of the important keys to succeed in life’s race. When there is a lack of motivation you will get no result whereas when there is motivation you will attain greater and better results and achievements. As I was watching the movie a lot of scenes have hit me and I have felt different emotions during the movie. I was moved when

FTS Experiences and Learnings (Major/Minor)

             Our field trip and seminars model was set A, where in we have to have one Interpersonal Skills Seminar + one Major field trip (Manila) + one Minor field trip (Davao) + one national seminar. We paid 18,000 each for this trip. Preparations for this subject were made a semester before. Our officers have been had a hard time in finding and managing documents but thankfully; we have chosen great and strong officers to lead us. I am proud of our officers for they have never given up when there was an issue of not allowing field trips in the school. On September 10, 2013, we had our Interpersonal Skills Seminar at USEP social hall. It was facilitated by our guidance counselor. There were games that require team work and knowing one’s self even more. Our team won the sturdiest tower of straw. After that seminar I have known more about some of my classmates and met knew ones. Remembering that day make me remember of all the fun we had and the knowledge of understanding others