Skip to main content

Major Field Trip And Seminars - Travel Report

TRAVEL REPORT
September 16-20, 2013
  

Seminar Overview

          Our major field trip was held at Manila for 5 days. It was raining when we arrived at the NAIA 3. We only visited 5 of the 6 companies listed in the itinerary because we didn’t manage to reach our supposed to be first company visit which was Flour Daniel on time because of the heavy traffic at Nichols. The one who accompanied us in our trip in Manila was Kuya Byron from Maynilad Tours. He was our tour guide for only 4 days since on our fifth and last day Ate Ma’anne took the place for Kuya Byron because he had obligations to attend to.

          On Monday, we have visited Social Security System Office at Quezon City. We held our seminar in the SSS Museum and Library. They have showcased there the history of SSS and the benefits a member could get. A lot of questions we’re raised about their centralized system. After the talk we we’re toured to the Andres Bonifacio Museum, where Bonifacio’s memorabilias we’re kept. On Tuesday, we attended the biggest IT event in the country the Philippine Youth Congress Information Technology (Y4iT) that was held at SMX Convention Center, Pasay City. A number of speakers had their talk, all we’re inspiring and motivating. It was a whole day full of learnings and prizes. On the next day, we visited two companies, PLDT and IBM. For me, that was the best day of our 5 days stay in Manila because I have seen the high-end facilities and competitive workers of both companies. I am privileged to be able know how the company manages their consumers and on the following day, we visited Toshiba, Canlubang where storage devices we’re manufactured and tested. We were welcomed by USEP Alumni who were currently working there. The place was huge; one not familiar in that place would easily get lost of all the right and left turns. And lastly, we visited MMDA, Mandaluyong on Friday where we saw how they manage to respond quickly whenever there are accidents on the road through their facilities.


        To sum it all up, our 5 day field trip and seminar was a success. I have witnessed and learned new things that I know I could use in the near future. I also managed to know my classmates even more and have built a strong bond throughout the trip. I can say the price was worth the learning, experience and most especially the fun.


Day 1

Today I went on a seminar in Social Security System or Paseguruhan ng Kapanatagang Panlipunan located at East Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City. It is a government agency that provides social insurance program for Filipino workers all over the Philippines for more than three decades. They have 134 branches all over the archipelago. SSS have been essential to all the Filipino workers because of the excellent benefits an SSS member could get.

What I learned?

I learned that the Philippine government fought to provide social security for the Filipino citizenry. It all started the Workmen’s Compensation Act, passed on 1927 to provide payment for work-related injuries and deaths suffered by wage earners. Then came the Government Service Insurance System created by Commonwealth Act Number 186 in 1936 to address the needs of the growing population of government workers. And on January 26, 1948, a recommendation to Congress was passed for the enactment of a law to establish a social security system for wage earners and low-salaried employees and on June 21, 1957, the Social Security Act of 1954 was signed to law. Along with the agency’s first anniversary was also the laying of the cornerstone of their present building on Quezon City. Their President and CEO is Mr. Emilio de Quiros Jr. And on the succeeding years, SSS have served and helped a lot of low-salaried employees both in the government and private sectors. SSS insurance covers a lot of types of benefits from sickness, maternity, disability, retirement, death and funeral, under given conditions. Also all SSS-registered employers and their employees are compulsory covered under the Employees’ Compensation or EC Program.

What I liked?

I really liked their speakers and personnel; they have given us nice lectures about their agency and they are always welcome to any questions and concerns. They have clearly explained what the history of SSS is, how to apply and what the benefits of being a member are.

We were only toured to the Andres Bonifacio Museum where a lot of Bonifacio memorabilia were showcased because it was raining that day but nevertheless, I have learned new things about Bonifacio, his brief biography and KKK.

What I didn’t like?

They have welcomed and accommodated us well so I have nothing to not like about the agency. Their facilities were good and clean. And even though they have the one of the oldest building standing, it was as if new because of well maintenance. As of their services, it’s really essential for Filipino workers and retirees. My grandfather was a member and is now enjoying his retirement fee. It really helped financially since he got a stroke last year and he has a lot of medication to go through. Thus, I can say that I really have nothing I didn’t like about this agency.




Day 2

Today I went to SMX Convention Center in Pasay for the Youth for Information Technology or Y4iT. It was a whole day full of inspiring and innovative speakers. The seminar was all about how ICT have boost its way up because of new technologies and innovations that have make lives easier.

What I learned?

I learned that idea and guts is all you need to attain success; a unique idea and super high guts. Speakers have shared how they pursued everything to get where they were now without thinking of the negative. All of the speakers are inspring but the most inspiring for me was Ms. Rhea. I learned to more appreciate and value my life with the talk of Ms. Rhea Guntalilib, a blind person yet she still managed to graduate a Suma Cum Laude and is now working under Smart Communications Inc. as Software development analyst and software developer. She was so inspiring. I almost cried while she was telling us about how she managed to stand up again. She made me realize how lucky and passive I am. I also felt guilt that time because I know in myself I have not done my best. Ms. Rhea is a strong person and is aided by JAWS or Job Access With Work which is a screen reader program of Microsoft to get her job done. She even demonstrated how JAWS works and I could say that it’s loud but for Ms. Rhea it’s a very helpful tool for blind persons. And the founder and CEO of Kalibr, Paul Rivera was also inspiring. I had a picture with him and he even said to me that I must strive hard and aim to be a future speaker for Y4iT.

One could really say that the speakers have a lot to be proud of them. They have the guts, the knowledge. The theme of Y4iT really dwelled throughout the day. Imagine. Innovate. Inspire.

What I liked?

I liked how the UPSITF or UP System Information Technology Foundation picked their speakers. They really got the best people to really make the audience imagine, innovate and inspire. They really have reached into their audiences mind, made it open for possibilities. For me, it quite bumped me and made me realize how passive I am. Disabilities are not hindrances but challenges that God knew that this person could get through. I could say that the word for that day was “Inspire”, I was really inspired on how they managed to get to the top. I also liked that the event has a raffle (HAHA) but sadly wasn’t picked. Their prizes were android phones and an Asus laptop. It was really a fun-filled and inspiring day.

What I didn’t like?

I can’t think of anything to dislike in this seminar since they have provided everything. They have snacks, freebies, raffles and amazing speakers. All you have to do was sit down and listen to the speakers. And it was not one of the typical boring seminars I swear all speakers could get your attention like Mr. Leversee, in particular, he discussed about Internet of things and he was a head turner because of how he delivered his lecture. But it’s quite saddening for me that I could only participate in Y4iT once in my college life since this annual event is always held in Luzon. It might be nice if Y4iT will be held at Davao or anywhere near here because I would probably go. It was a great privileged for me that I have attended this important event.






Day 3

Today I went on a seminar in PLDT and IBM. For me this day was the best because both companies are accommodating and informative. Though we were not allowed to take pictures inside their offices I was so delighted to have entered it and naively wished that if only my eyes could take pictures. HAHA. We were on the third day yet our spirits were still at its peak because of the technological advancements we witnessed.

What I learned?

In PLDT or Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company located at Makati, they have high-end facilities, in the room where our first discussion was held they have a touch screen projector and a Mondopad, it is just like a huge iPad. We were toured in a hallway where their history memorabilias were stored in a case. I noticed that they have increased and widen their network and services each year. I saw there their first ever telephone distributed for subscribers. But as technology levels higher every year PLDT had a feeling that they might not stay in the industry longer if they will only stick on telephone, so PLDT expanded their services, they offered beepers and first cellphones to level the competition. PLDT now offers wireless and LAN connections. And now they are planning to use fiber optics to make their connections faster. They also showed us their Smart home that could turn on and off appliances with just one click and we even tried how to use a Mondopad. And I was amazed that they have already made my ideaspace entry, Gtracker, only which it is only applicable for to track vehicles. They gave me a light that my idea could be possible.

In IBM or International Business Machines located at Commonwealth, I have learned that they are helping student developers who have limited resources; they let them use their facilities for that purpose. There was only one speaker and he was a teacher but stopped on teaching and continued to work in IBM. His lecture was more about database and logistics. Different types of handling these areas. He toured us by batch since their receiving rooms have small spaces and he also showed us different kinds of servers. And while others were waiting a video about their AI named Watson was played. It’s amazing how a computer competes answers with real people and even won the game.

What I liked?

I liked the formality in their work. I want to work in one of those companies if possible. They have given us informative discussions and even gave freebies. I am privileged to enter such huge company because not everyone could enter it. PLDT was accommodating and always encourage us to ask questions and they answer it clearly, IBM too.

What I didn’t like?

I know that both are huge companies but I just kind of feel that IBM is quite strict. Their employees were acting like they don’t like visitors even though we behaved well. They were not quite accommodating, not even a smile as we pass. But despite of that, IBM is still one of my favorite companies.





Day 4

Today I went on a seminar at TOSHIBA Inc., Canlubang where HDDs are manufactured there. We were privileged to have toured inside their plant. There were a lot of USEP alumni working there now; they were hired last year through provincial hiring.

What I learned?

Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co. or TOSHIBA was a product of two companies merged. And their only manufacturing plant is here in the Philippines since they prefer Filipino workers because Filipinos as hardworking and delicate also are good English speakers. TOSHIBA have received a lot of awards for the past years. We were toured inside their plant. We saw how they make HDDs and how they secure good quality of HDDs for consumers. They have a room where HDDs were stored and tested and a mechanical hand does the work of getting that HDD that have malfunctioned. And if ever there have a defective HDD they have a room for testing and searching which part of the HDD is wrong. They don’t easily throw defective HDD it will undergo several stages and only if after that there is no solution found then it is when they dispose it. They also have an air pressurized room where HDD were made. HDDs were made by robotic arms. They have a room where HDDs were tested to what temperature a HDD could handle, it will be put inside a special black case for 3 days for testing.

What I liked?

Everyone is courteous. They greet every person they get across with. Their plantation was huge one could easily get lost there. I liked how they made the Alumni to welcome us as we enter the building. Daghag bisaya didto haha wala ko naglisud ug pangutana kung unsa to, unsa ni. They answer all of your questions except questions about their salary. HAHA. They have huge facilities there. And the employees are nice to look at because they have uniforms. The place was cozy too; it is far away from the city and pollution.

What I didn’t like?

I have no reason to dislike such amazing place. Everything and everyone were accommodating. They have smiles on their faces. They were as if a huge family. Mostly everyone were acquainted with each other. Even though they have a boss they treat everyone equally. They talk like friends, a casual conversation but with respect. I would love to work their if possible but I don’t think I have the qualifications they need.




Day 5

Today I went to MMDA or Metro Manila Development Authority. They held the discussion in there Flood Control Information Center and Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Operation Center.
                             
What I learned?

I learned that they were not only assigned on the traffic but also in the weather forecast and flood control of Manila. They have huge monitors there that are connected to PHILVOCS and PAGASA. They also have the data of earthquakes that is happening every day all over the Philippines. They have prepared PowerPoint slides of their lectures. They also made us watch videos of disasters happened on the streets that were recorded in the CCTV. Also they have a huge memory for storing CCTV recorded videos that could last for months. We were aghast on the different accidents happened because of law breakers and red light beaters. There was a man riding a motorcycle but suddenly bumped to the railing and blood scatter on the streets, they said that the man was still alive that time but was declared dead on arrival at the hospital. We really can’t avoid accidents but we can do everything we could to prevent it by following the street rules and the law.

I also got the chance of experiencing their Shake, Rattle and Roll House. It is a house that simulates an earthquake magnitude and intensity. It was really a nice experience to have sat inside a shaking house. HAHA.

What I liked?

I liked their personnel because they were so accommodating; smiles are on their faces as they speak to us. They explained thoroughly their work and scopes of it. They presented all the stuffs we need to know. And I really liked that Simulation house where we had the chance to experience a magnitude 4 earthquake.

What I didn’t like?

The agency was great, no reason to dislike it. What I didn’t like was we only have a minimum of time there. Not everyone have experienced to be inside that shaking house. But all in all, it was a nice visit there thought it was raining that day.




APPENDIX

What can I recommend for the improvement of the advance seminar program of USEP?

I recommend that the preparations should be started a semester before and must be planned earlier as well because problems may be encountered if not planned out well. Also parents should be called to meet personally on selecting what are their preferences so that parents wouldn’t be startled and shocked of how costly it is. It must also have a Memorandum of Agreement between the parents and the FTS president that there will be no turning back once the majorities have decided. And students must pick responsible and patient persons to be their officers, the ones who will never back out and would strive to finish what they have started.

My advice to those who will take their advance seminar program in the near future is that they must all be responsible of themselves. Don’t make others suffer because of your issues. Plan everything and tell your parents all the agreements truthfully. If possible orient your parents a semester before that you have the plan on taking field trip and seminar next semester for them to be ready in any case. Never be tardy in classes. Pass all documents needed by the officers and don’t wait for the deadline to comply it. Pass all the reflections given by the professor. Never be a burden to anyone in the group. Stay attentive and be serious on talks and discussions. Behave in each company you visit. Help your officers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After watching the movie “3 IDIOTS”, your reflections of the 3 characters, which one would you choose?

This movie had perfectly portrayed the different possible reactions of every individual who has been under too much pressure. In real life situations, pressure is not only experienced in the family but also in the workplace, school and even around friends. This movie had taught a lesson of positivity and faith. Never blame the Lord of all the mischiefs that have been happening to you. Surely all of that has a purpose. Whenever we’re down and feeling like giving up we just have to motivate ourselves. Think of our goals and dreams. Motivation is an answer. A motivated person takes action and does whatever it needs to achieve his/her goal. Motivation is one of the important keys to succeed in life’s race. When there is a lack of motivation you will get no result whereas when there is motivation you will attain greater and better results and achievements. As I was watching the movie a lot of scenes have hit me and I have felt different emotions during the movie. I was moved when

Pirates Of Silicon Valley: An eyeopener

What are the factors that contributed to the success and failure of Steve Jobs as a technopreneur? As I was watching the movie I can’t help myself to be amazed and at the same time disappointed of how the characters managed to get what they have right now. We can’t deny their contributions to make our lives easier and is still continuing their legacy up to now but this movie somehow spilled their secrets. Like any other individuals, I suppose originality is important to ensure one’s success but with this eye-opener I guess someone just have to be an effective speaker to get what he/she wants. It’s kind of about the Game of minds. The conflict between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates is stunning in a negative way. haha. In this movie there is neither a protagonist nor an antagonist. The two main characters have flaws. They we’re kind of funny because they kept each other’s secrets in order for their secrets not to be spilled. They both knew they we’re thieves, idea thieves. Si

FTS Experiences and Learnings (Major/Minor)

             Our field trip and seminars model was set A, where in we have to have one Interpersonal Skills Seminar + one Major field trip (Manila) + one Minor field trip (Davao) + one national seminar. We paid 18,000 each for this trip. Preparations for this subject were made a semester before. Our officers have been had a hard time in finding and managing documents but thankfully; we have chosen great and strong officers to lead us. I am proud of our officers for they have never given up when there was an issue of not allowing field trips in the school. On September 10, 2013, we had our Interpersonal Skills Seminar at USEP social hall. It was facilitated by our guidance counselor. There were games that require team work and knowing one’s self even more. Our team won the sturdiest tower of straw. After that seminar I have known more about some of my classmates and met knew ones. Remembering that day make me remember of all the fun we had and the knowledge of understanding others